A Lagos State Magistrates’ Court sitting in Yaba, Lagos on Tuesday, ordered the remand of Afrobeat musician, Seun Kuti, for 48 hours in police custody.
The police dragged Kuti to court for assaulting one Inspector Mohammed Aminu, in Lagos last Saturday as captured in a viral video.
The youngest son of the late Afrobeat legend, Fela Kuti, had been in police custody since Monday after he turned himself in, following an order for his arrest by the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba.
The police took him before the magistrate on Tuesday to get an order to further keep him in custody pending the conclusion of investigation.
The police told the magistrate, Adeola Olatunbosun, that by allegedly assaulting a policeman on duty, Kuti acted contrary to Section 356 of the Nigerian Criminal Code Act.
According to the prosecution led by S. A Adebeshin and Morufu Animashaun, the defendant was reported to have wounded and assaulted a police officer, obstructed his lawful duty and conducted himself in a manner likely to cause a breach of peace on May 13, 2023.
The police alleged that the singer drove dangerously on the highway outward Third Mainland Bridge and deliberately grabbed a policeman in uniform, raining slaps to his face.
The prosecution prayed the court to remand Seun Kuti for 21 days pending legal advice from the Directorate of Public Prosecutions.
They stated that the application was to allow the police complete investigation on the matter.
The prosecution further claimed that the assaulted policeman was in an undisclosed hospital, later discovered to be the Police clinic, Ikeja, receiving medical attention.
However, the lead defence counsel, Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika (SAN), contended that he was unaware of the remand application, adding that there was no basis to request for the remand of his client.
The SAN argued that the offences levelled against his client were bailable.
“The offences and punishment are straightforward and well stated under the law.
“Saying that Kuti refused to write a statement, is not enough to bring an application for detention. He is not a flight risk. He should be admitted to bail on terms that he shows up anytime he is needed by the court,” the SAN argued.
The magistrate, in her ruling, said, “Following the remand application presented before the court, I am advising that the case file be duplicated and sent to the Directorate of public prosecutions within 72 hours.
“The defendant is hereby remanded for 48 hours in police custody to allow the police to conclude their investigation. After 48 hours, his bail will take effect.
“The defendant will be granted bail in the sum of N1m with two responsible sureties, a three years tax payment receipt that is verifiable; one of the sureties must have a landed property within the court jurisdiction.”
She adjourned the case till May 22, 2023, for mention.